Ways to Increase Gas Mileage:
A Quick MPG Guide
With gas prices rising, many people are looking for new ways to increase gas mileage. We look at the many ways you can save money on gas, including reviewing the latest gas mileage devices.
There are some real gas saving innovations on the market today, but before you try them, make sure you do the simple, inexpensive stuff first.
Improve Gas Mileage Guide aims to start with the basics. This site is dedicated to show you real ways to increase gas mileage through a variety of means, including showing you how to improve your driving habits, like teaching you hypermiling techniques and simple safe driving practices while also showing you how to obtain the best mpg your car can achieve by keeping your vehicle well maintained.
We also offer information on high mileage cars and hybrids, for those who are interested. You'll be surprised to find out that hybrids are more affordable than you've been led to believe.
We realize this site has a lot of information to take in, and we plan on adding to it. That is why we've created this Quick & Dirty Guide to teach you ways to increase gas mileage in your car.
Know Your EPA Gas Mileage Rating
Knowing your EPA gas mileage rating is a good first step to improve gas mileage in your vehicle. This is a good starting point as you begin to calculate gas mileage in your car. It's important to know that you're at least getting the epa gas mileage estimated for your vehicle.
To find out if your car is getting the EPA gas mileage estimate, visit FuelEconomy.gov to download the information on your car.
Now that you know what your EPA Gas Mileage Rating is, it's time to find out if your car actually lives up to its reputation.
Use a Miles Per Gallon Calculator to Calculate Gas Mileage
To find out if your car gets the MPG estimated by the EPA, you must begin to calculate gas mileage in your vehicle. There are a number of ways to do this:
- Use a formula to calculate gas mileage: This is a simple mathematical formula to help you figure your gas mileage. All you need is a piece of paper, a pen or pencil, and a regular calculator.
- Use an Online Miles Per Gallon Calculator: Improve Gas Mileage Guide has an online gas mileage calculator that you can use whenever you wish. Simply enter your numbers into the form and click "Calculate".
- Download a Free Miles Per Gallon Calculator: I have designed an excel spreadsheet that you can download to calculate and track your fuel economy. Accept this as my gift to you.
- There's an App for That!: Apple has several iPhone applications designed to track your fuel economy. They are very effective and incredibly inexpensive.
Use any of the above methods to track your MPG for several weeks to determine if your fuel economy lives up to the EPA gas mileage estimates.
Learn and Implement Time-Tested Ways to Increase Gas Mileage
Whether your MPG lives up to the EPA gas mileage ratings for your vehicle or not, there's always room for improvement. Check out these great and easy ways to increase gas mileage.
- Ease Up - don't accelerate too quickly. Avoid the "hurry up and wait" mentality in city driving, accelerating quickly just to stop a few hundred feet ahead. Coast whenever possible, letting up off the gas pedal.
- Slow and Steady - go the speed limit, or slower. Keep your RPMs below 2000.
- Hypermiling - give your vehicle a rolling start in neutral at the highest parking spot available, and try driving without shoes on to control the accelerator to the smallest degree possible. Avoid dangerous ideas like drafting and over-inflating your tires.
- Oil Changes - follow your owner's manual for oil change intervals and motor oil weight. Consider synthetic oil.
- Tire Pressure and Rotation - keep your tires at the optimal PSI for your vehicle, checking and refilling it every month. Rotate those tires per the manual's recommendations. Don't bother with nitrogen in tires as it's a waste of money.
This is just the beginning. Check out other ways to increase gas mileage throughout this site, as well as helpful tips on how to save money on gas.
Track Your Fuel Economy Progress
If you took advantage of the Free Download - Miles Per Gallon Calculator, this step will be a breeze. Everything from miles driven, MPG, and different gas mileage tips you implemented to improve gas mileage will all be stored in one location on your computer. Simple and effective.
There are other ways to do this however. A simple pad of paper and a pen suits just fine as long as you use an MPG calculator or formula to calculate gas mileage.
However, there are quick and easier ways to check out how your gas mileage is improving.
Instead of waiting until your next fill-up to calculate gas mileage in your car for that week, why not test out all of my tips immediately? There are various real-time gas mileage trackers available online for purchase that will do that. They're incredibly helpful for immediate comparison between various driving and hypermiling techniques as well as immediate testing of gas mileage devices and enhancers.
Summary: Ways to Increase Gas Mileage
- Know Your EPA Gas Mileage Rating - this is the perfect starting point
- Calculate Gas Mileage in your car - you can't improve something if you don't know where it is to begin with
- Implement a few fuel saving tips - simple and effective driving and car maintenance implementation goes a long way
- Keep Good Records to track fuel efficiency - know how well those tips and gadgets are working
- Learn all you can, and then learn some more! There is always room for improvement!
Learn more Ways to Increase Gas Mileage